Turkey Run, Chapel Hill
Size: 1,800 SF existing heated SF + 1,290 SF new addition =3,090 SF heated total + new garage, patios, screen porch and expanded front entry porch.
Some of the strategies used to green this home were as follows:
- Replace existing HVAC with more energy efficient system with multiple zones
- New kitchen and laundry energy star appliances
- Replace all toilets with dual flush to reduce water consumption
- Replace exterior siding with Fiber cement clapboards
- Replace existing roof with 50 year shingles
- New flooring including: stained decorative concrete, bamboo, cork, and tile
- Decorative concrete countertops installed in kitchen and all bathrooms
- Reuse kitchen cabinets and windows in new garage addition
- Many products (appliances, doors, windows, framing materials…) were donated to Habitat for Humanity.
- Solar hot water system
- Solar electric system (6.5 KW)– set up as a sell all system with batteries for emergency backup
Carolina Country Builders and architect Alicia Ravetto were winners of the Triangle Business Journal Green Awards 2008 for a Residential Remodeling Project for this house.